Old City Cemetery Center
The Old City Cemetery was established in 1853 and is recognized as an outstanding historical landmark by the Texas Historical Commission. It is also listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The cemetery reveals much of the city's history; from victims of war and gunfights, to those who died from yellow fever and cholera epidemics. Those buried here reveal the hard life and the early conditions of a Texas border town. The Cemetery is located on East Madison Street and East 5th Street and is open daily from 8AM-5PM.
Once serving as the baggage room to the Old Southern Pacific Railroad Depot, the Old City Cemetery Center houses a permanent exhibit focused on the history of the cemetery. The Center is currently open by appointment only and for various programs and tours throughout the year.