Here it is!!! The 1st Annual Boca Chica Beach Legend’s ‘LEYENDAS’ surf fishing tournament. Hope you guys are ready for some cash, custom rods, fishing gear, guided trips, and much more!!
The goal of this event is to create a fun-filled tournament for families to get together and to promote kids to go out and enjoy the outdoors! Tickets will be available next week at the following locations: Spearfishing & Tackle Shop and Gordon’s Bait & Tackle!. J. Guillen custom rods & Lucky 77 custom rods will be awarded to the winners in the Redfish/Trout category. We will be raffling off a brand new 2016 Feel Free Moken 12’5” kayak!!
Goodie bags will be given to first 50 contestants who show up to the event. Contestants will have a chance to win door prizes provided by some of our tournament sponsors! Tournament Boundaries: Southern boundary will be down to the mouth of the river. Northern boundary will be up to 50 feet away from the Boca Chica Beach Jetties. The tournament will be held on July 30th. The alternate date will be August 13th. The alternate date will be used if Boca Chica Beach is closed or hazardous conditions exist on the primary date. The camp will be located about half a mile to the left side of Boca Chica Beach main entrance.
Registration & Pre-check in can be made at Basecamp on Saturday from 12 pm until 10 pm or on Sunday from 5 am until 6 am. Registrations will not be accepted after tournament fishing hours start at 6 am on Sunday.
Entrance fee to participate in the tournament is $25 pre-sale and $30 at the event. No refunds will be given and tickets are non-transferable. Kids ages 3-12 will participate for free. They will need to be accompanied by an adult and are still required to register. Deadline to turn in catches will be at exactly 2:00 pm on Sunday and all entries must be submitted at base camp. LATE ENTRIES WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED. Raffle tickets will be available for sale for $10 each. There will not be a limit on the number of tickets purchased. The drawing will be held during the awards ceremony. All contestants are required to sign and return a liability release & rules acceptance form prior to participating in the event. Minors need to have a parent or approved adult guardian sign a release allowing them to participate in the event.
**Participants in the tournament enter at their own risk. The BCBL committee, its members and all persons directly or indirectly connected with the operation of the tournament assume no liability for loss, damage, negligence, harm or injury suffered by a participant. Obstructing or interfering with the normal flow of vehicle traffic is prohibited. Be aware of how you park and how traffic is going to be affected by your camp. Pedestrians have the right-of-way at all times. Slow down thru camps and always watch out for kids and people that may cross.
Point of Contact: Charlie Guillen (956) 746-6995, Eric Garcia (956) 543-8864 or CJ Garcia (956) 312-0377
Driving in dunes, grasslands, or mudflats is prohibited. Drive with caution and observe posted speed limits.
1) It is your responsibility to read and understand the rules & requirements of this event, failure to do so can result in disqualification.
2) The rules and regulations of the tournament are subject to change and angler is responsible for being familiar with the most up-to-date rules. Notice of all changes will be provided to all registrants.
3) All fish must be hooked, fought, and landed from the surf. Fish caught or hooked from the jetties, channels, or while in a kayak or other floating device will not be accepted as a valid entry.
4) Fishing outside the designated tournament area will result in disqualification. BCBL staff will be driving around to make sure no contestant is fishing outside of tournament boundaries.
5) All fish are measured. Length determines winner, not weight. Judges will make a vertical cut in the tail to show the fish has been measured unless it is immediately released alive.
6) No lines will be allowed in the water before 6 am of tournament date.
7) Contestants must present to BCBL staff a legal photo ID proving identification. ID types include driver’s license, state-issued ID, Military ID etc. Only minors that are not required to have a state-issued ID are exempt.
8) The awards and door prizes will be presented on the day of the event. Winners must present tournament tickets, valid ID, and be present to win.
9) This tournament is an individual event. Use of non-participants to gain any advantage will result in disqualification.
10) Contestants must present to BCBL staff a current TPWD fishing license with proper saltwater stamps. Only minors that are not required by TPWD to have a license are exempt. All TP&W regulations apply, including size and length limitation.
11) Each contestant will be entitled two fishing rods. All contestants will have their two fishing rods labeled. If one rod is broken during the tournament, the contestant will be required to bring his/her broken rod to the registration tent and may have a spare rod labeled.
12) All tournament fish must be caught by rod and reel. No gigging, seine nets, spearing, cast nets, gill nets, or gaffs may be used to capture tournament fish or to aid in landing tournament fish. A dip net can be used to land the fish.
13) All catch entries must be caught using only hook, line, gear, baits and/or lures. Terminal tackle will be limited to two hooks.
14) Only one prize per angler within each category will be awarded. Contestants will be eligible to win in both redfish and most sports/no sports category.
15) From the time that a fish strikes or takes a bait or lure, the angler must hook, fight, and land the fish without the aid of any other person. Assistance may only be provided while helping land the fish with a dip net.
16) All fish caught must remain hooked on the labeled rod and be brought in alive. Any fish that is gutted, mutilated, or otherwise altered from its natural state will not be accepted.
17) No wind or motor powered boats, jet skis, kite boarding, or remote control devices will be allowed. All baits & gear must be deployed from within tournament boundaries and not from any jetties. No fishing from the bay or channels will be allowed.
18) It will be your responsibility to check every hour to see if your catch is still on the leader board of one of the categories if it is not then you may pick up your catch at the main base camp.
19) In the event of a tie, the heaviest fish registered will be the winner. In the event of an absolute tie, the combined places will split cash prizes equally and merchandise will be split with a coin toss.
20) At any time during the event, a BCBL board member can approach a participant and their camp and request that any Boca Chica Beach, State of Texas, or TPWD violations observed be corrected. Non-compliance with BCBL board members regarding any violation correction can result in all participants present within the camp being disqualified.
21) The persons who are not eligible to compete in this tournament are active BCBL staff or anyone with access to the tournament rulers prior to the event. Sponsors and anyone associated with them are eligible as participants.
22) Any protests must be submitted to tournament officials in writing within 25 minutes after the announcement of winners and be accompanied by $100.00USD.
23) All trash must be cleaned up prior to departure. Additional cleaning of your surrounding camp area is highly encouraged.
24) Unsportsmanlike conduct will not be tolerated and can result in disqualification and be banned from future events. Disputes or grievances will be handled with BCBL board members in private.
25) Staking out is strictly prohibited; all anglers are limited to a fishing area not to exceed 25 feet of beach frontage.
26) If any member of a contestant’s party is found without a ticket, the entire party will be disqualified.
The Tournament committee will resolve all disputes and their decision is final. Tournament committee or its organizers cannot be held liable for decisions made during judging. This includes but is not limited to prizes, prize money and entry fees.
**Please understand it is a criminal offense in Texas to attempt to cheat in a fishing tournament as per Chapter 66, Section 66.023, Parks and Wildlife Code. Any violators will be turned into proper authorities.